I'm approaching 22K and a little worried that my story will wrap up a little too soon. Of course, it's equally likely that I have too much - it is one of the reasons I struggle with week 2.
Here are a few tips to help you out if you're plot is coming up a little short on words -
1. Go back and flesh out a few scenes that maybe you rushed through earlier.
2. Take a prompt from a 1_million_words weekend challenge and fit it in as a twist or extra few pages into your novel. You'd be surprised at how effective this can be.
3. Don't be afraid to be bold. It may seem strange that your tough as nails detective has a sudden obsession with the ballet, but go with it. It can be a dream/nightmare, book or movie the character's read/watched - an interest of someone they've just met.
If you think your novel is running too long - there are a few tips here as well -
1. Leave a placeholder for a scenes you're not sure you need. For example, is the third flashback really needed for the story? Do I need a dinner scene or is it bogging down the action?
2. Consider that you have enough material for a two or more book series and figure out the logical end for the current novel. Maybe even write that ending and then go back to the middle later.
Okay folks - your turn. Chime in with successes/struggles/tips :D
And write those words!!!